Posted on

Catching the Spirit

I’m currently sitting in Orlando International Airport after a day of epic adventure waiting for my plane to board. I’ve had mixed feelings about “Leaving on a Jet Plane” back to Michigan (ironically, that song was played in the dorms during a very touching senior ceremony). I wonder how many people even realized that I graduated with them. I had a lot of friends who lived in the dorms from the grades under me, other people who were in the Horizons-Upward Bound program. I wasn’t exactly a social butterfly. But even if no one remembers me, I am excited to walk the halls of my old school and introduce Mr. Perfect to all the places that were special to me growing up.

Today has been eventful. I had to work half a day, and I still needed to pack. Getting my hair done or a mani/pedi were out of the question (hopefully tomorrow before the cocktail party). I managed to find everything I needed to pack and get it into the suitcase and my “purse,” a large tote that I purchased with part of my bonus money while in New Orleans (I’m also wearing the hoodie I purchased from the Audobon Aquarium). I found all of the cords to charge all of my devices, packed a few options for the more structured activities, chased down appropriate footwear, and started a load of dishes before going to work. Mr. Perfect scheduled Park to Fly services and finished up some last minute details on his end, while I reserved our rental car in between wrapping up a few projects at work. A co-worker of mine was trying to coordinate a donation to the church’s Free Market with me, but I didn’t have time to go to her car to get it, especially since I had to finish packing, make sure all of our itinerary and documents were printed and stored within easy reach, get something to eat, and get to the airport in good time to make our flight.

Once I was off work, I had to contend with the horrible rain in the area. I checked OIA’s website and the weather channel obsessively to ensure that our flight wasn’t delayed and we would be able to take off without incident. I had to go to the bank and do a bit of running around before we packed our bags into the car and headed out. I had to repack my tote to make sure it met the weight and height requirements. We stopped for gas and drinks then set out.

Other than driving rain for most of the way, the drive to the Park N Fly was uneventful. Mr. Perfect got his vehicle checked in quickly and we hopped on the shuttle to the airport. Check in was accomplished with a modicum of difficulty (aside from paying $90 to check 2 bags!).We loitered while finishing the drinks we refused to throw away. I had a mini-breakdown about the Satin Hands hand lotion I found in my tote, trying to rearrange things in my bag to prevent detection. As much as I wanted to be tackled by TSA for trying to hold on to expensive hand lotion, I escaped this fate because it met the size restrictions. Since I’m a veteran traveler, I wore flip flops (easy to remove) and compression pants, t-shirt, and hoodie (no pockets), and therefore missed the chance to be felt up in a back room for non-compliance. Today was a day of missed opportunities.

We dined in the airport Ruby Tuesdays, counting how many people had ordered alcoholic drinks and how many were on laptops working. I had a shrimp parmesan pasta and Mr. P. had a New Orleans seafood dish. We were shocked with how reasonable the price was for airport food. After the initial delights of having finally had a substantial meal wore off, we made our way to the lounge to wait for our flight, and for me to jot down a few things here. Chance truly does favor the prepared mind, because I have enough battery power on all the requisite devices to get caught up on Net Galley books and start reviews during the flight.

I will record all of my thoughts about stepping back into time once we are on the Detroit side of this equation. I’m just happy that the rain has stopped, the trip to the airport was nearly painless, and to this point I haven’t forgotten anything essential. Pray for our safe travels and a good trip.

What are you doing this weekend? Anything exciting?



Leave a Reply